Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 20 19:52:03 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 15:21, Simon wrote:
[snip]
> Second, I've seen shilling for MS, and this is not it.  She's
> merely backing what she thinks is a good idea, unless I missed a
> whole chunk of text or something.  I don't actually know enough
> about this specific scheme to comment on it, but it doesn't sound
> terrible, nor does it sound like it would promote an MS
> monoculture.

I agree. Even if this was a Microsoft specific technology, which it
isn't, Microsoft employs some of the most notable computer scientists
on the planet so they are bound to have a few good ideas now and
then. If Microsoft does something right, the Linux fan boys still
attack Microsoft because in their minds, Microsoft has to fail in
order for Linux to succeed. For Linux to become a mainstream
operating system on the desktop, it needs to earn its place on its
merits, not just because Windows is supposedly so bad.

> As for the IPC contact page, use common sense, that page is
> targeting your average person.   Mention encryption and a sizable
> fraction of the population will clue out.  Yes, it would have been
> nice for them to briefly mention that it is possible to work around
> this and send things securely, but other than that their goal of
> warning people against sending sensitive info in the mail has been
> met.
[snip]

The people who know about encryption don't need to be told that they
shouldn't send private information via email so there was no loss in
not mentioning it.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay