is open office ready for university?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 17 05:36:11 UTC 2006

PW Armstrong wrote:

> sooooo, my daughter is off to university
>
> yes, I've bought her a laptop
>
> yes, I've caved, it runs xp
>
> but I balked at buying a copy of ms office
>
> her laptop actually came with a free copy of WP office X3, but she says
> she needs ms office
>
> do I have to spring for this?  if WP office X3, isn't good enough, is
> open office good enough?
>
> any and all comments appreciated.

U of T at Scarborough sold (maybe still does?) StarOffice for around $20. As
someone who just completed my HBA at U of T I can say definitively that ms
office is totally unnecessary -- OO saves in .doc, exports to pdf, works with
ppt, xls etc. Likely everything she'll need to do in a Humanities context is
easily done with OpenOffice or StarOffice. My partner made it through 4 years
using StarOffice herself and we exchanged and proofread each other's work
through .sxw and .odt the whole time.

Don't do it! Go with OpenOffice, or StarOffice if you really need to buy
something (though they are pretty much identical in most respects).

Jamon