is open office ready for university?

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 17 07:20:57 UTC 2006

On October 16, 2006 09:21 pm, PW Armstrong wrote:
> sooooo, my daughter is off to university

Some universities use StarOffice/OpenOffice.org in their labs (eg. Ryerson
U.).

For a comp. sci. student OOo is great because it is open source and the
document format is well documented. This allowed me to write a filter to
convert spreadsheets into another format for a project a couple of years ago.
These exciting activities are possible because the source and the
documentation is available.

OOo is doing extremely great with qa and testing apparently. There are ties
with the EDOS project (http://www.edos-project.org , see wp3 papers for qa).
A new testing framework is under construction to automate the process (TULIP
http://www.edos-project.org/xwiki/bin/Main/TULIP ; TULIP stands for Testing
Upgrades of Linux Images Program) .
TULIP is based on qemu images (for now). The OOO project is called CETOOo
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/QA_CETOOo).

For a non-tech person OOo is more than enough. I won't repeat the arguments
posted before. Plus it is a good bet to make due to the development pace and
the growing community.

Hope that helps.

Marc

Ref.