is open office ready for university?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 17 02:09:24 UTC 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 21:21, PW Armstrong wrote:
> sooooo, my daughter is off to university
>
> yes, I've bought her a laptop
>
> yes, I've caved, it runs xp
>
> but I balked at buying a copy of ms office
>
> her laptop actually came with a free copy of WP office X3, but she
> says she needs ms office
>
> do I have to spring for this?  if WP office X3, isn't good enough,
> is open office good enough?
>
> any and all comments appreciated.

I don't know about WP Office X3 but OpenOffice works fine in most
cases. I have both MS Office and OpenOffice and rarely need to boot
Windows just so I can run MS Office and I exchange Word and Excel
files with others all the time, including files in which version
tracking was used. The only time I have seen OpenOffice's import
filters choke on files created in MS Office is when complicated
formatting was used or there are VBA macros embedded in the files.
Since that accounts for less than 1% of the documents I receive from
clients and others, it is inconsequential. Having said that, you
should be aware that there are significant discounts for students and
teachers for Microsoft products.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay