Japan's Telephone system

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 10 16:51:45 UTC 2006

Merv Curley wrote:
> A  chap there can't get his Winmodem to work at the same speed in Linux as it does in Windows.  Conextant want $20 US for new Linux drivers which may work better.

Japan has its College-and-Spadina holes in the wall, and its tech
supermarkets put FutureShop to shame, Your friend can most likely get an
AOpen hardware modem there for less than the cost of shipping, taxes and
duty from Canada.

And, of course, the modems bought there will be legal for use there,
probably unlike the one you will send. Ever notice the FCC and/or
Industry Canada stickers on modems sold here? Japan has its own
equivalent, and my guess is that the modem you're sending isn't
certified for there.

At very least, get your friend to see if the exact same AOpen model is
available for sale in Japan, and what it would cost. Maybe it'll be
worth your while, maybe not. I have no idea how much duty is charged on
tech stuff sent to Japan from here; it's certainly not a free-trade deal.

- Evan