Japan's Telephone system

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 10 15:19:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 11:03:23AM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
> Got a world traveller here?
>
> I am curious if anyone has experience using a North American dial up modem in
> Japan.  The wall plug is the same,  thats about all I know.
>
> I was thinking of sending an AOpen FM56-PLX over there, a fairly cheap PCI
> hardware  modem.
>
> Thanks for any comments about the modem or compatibilty.

Many modems have a country setting.  Setting it to the right country
should do the right thing.  You might need a correct cable to connect to
the phone jack from the modem (most modems have north american style
connectors on them because they are small and cheap).  If you don't set
the country setting wrong, you may not be able to dial and/or connect.
You might also (quite likely) be breaking the law in the country you are
in. :)

--
Len Sorensen