webdav and spreadsheets

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 6 00:31:38 UTC 2006

On October 5, 2006 08:02 am, dave morton wrote:
> the downside to google calendaring is that logging in is through the main
> portal, giving your users access to all your personal email and
> spreadsheets etc.

I read something about making all or parts of your calendar visible. But I
have not tested it. Information is clearly provided in the page though.

> imap is ok for email web servers, but sessions are limited in the way they
> can be used. (you can't just drag a file over to the server or get one back
> onto your desktop - you must manipulate the server with a mail client --- i
> believe)

my point was that IMAP is a protocols that allows much more than email
management. Other clients (other than mail's) can be written (and have been
apparently).

> because webdav is a derivative of http, sessions can be encrypted etc
> because the functionality has existed in web browsers for a long time.
> furthermore, drag and drop are done as if you are working on your local
> desktop.

I don't want to argue on what is the best solution. But IMAP also can be
secured via TLS for example (and ssh tunnels, vpn, etc.)

> i agree, google stuff is beautiful, but for collaborative calendaring and
> spreadshet work, it is too limited when a group of people need read/write
> access in real time

Ok. I take your word on it.

Have you seen writely -the web site? You can edit a text document
collaboratively.