webdav and spreadsheets

dave morton dmortondc-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 7 17:03:16 UTC 2006

ah, the old... read the fine manual

marc, now i understand a little more about imap. after some more reading, it
does look very good for moving around all sorts of stuff.
i fooled with squirrel mail a few years ago, i was in love with imap at that
time, but i was running into problems with port blocking on both bell and
rogers, so i gave up,
i didn't realize that it could be used for more than email.

i may have jumped onto the webdav bandwagon too soon, as i have discovered
our windows xp clients and linux users can all read/write directly to the
site using excel, word, openoffice.org etc, but i am beginning to fear that
i may have left my server open to major abuse.

i really need to rethink this. at least imap can be locked down securely. i
am not so sure about webdav.

your other point that google can be configured looks promising. i may very
well be trying to re-invent a wheel which already exists.

i despair if my tone seemed argumentative. apology given. i value the help i
have received over many years from the group. i go back to a time on this
group when we were all figuring out ppp for dialup on redhat 5

funny, i was thinking about the group member the other day who passed away
about 4 or 5 years ago so suddenly. does anyone remember his name? he was a
very accomplished unix/linux administrator who taught everyone so much.
weird that it had popped into my mind
thx again
dave