webdav and spreadsheets

dave morton dmortondc-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 5 12:02:23 UTC 2006

the downside to google calendaring is that logging in is through the main
portal, giving your users access to all your personal email and spreadsheets
etc.

we use webdav calendaring because it is a discrete application, used soley
for group calendar function and we can have a seemingly unlimited number of
people subscribed and editing the calendars as needed , all in real-time,
doing read/write. (dav is distributed, authoring, and versioning- so all our
calendars are are up to date in real time)

imap is ok for email web servers, but sessions are limited in the way they
can be used. (you can't just drag a file over to the server or get one back
onto your desktop - you must manipulate the server with a mail client --- i
believe)

because webdav is a derivative of http, sessions can be encrypted etc
because the functionality has existed in web browsers for a long time.
furthermore, drag and drop are done as if you are working on your local
desktop.

i agree, google stuff is beautiful, but for collaborative calendaring and
spreadshet work, it is too limited when a group of people need read/write
access in real time
regards dave