webdav and spreadsheets

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 5 02:30:47 UTC 2006

On October 4, 2006 10:18 pm, dave morton wrote:
> we use a linux/apache webdav server for group calendaring. The calendars
> work great (some folks are using sunbird and some are using the firefox
> calendar extension to access the site) All is smooth, no problems.
>
> anyone know of a product which can do basic spreadsheets? i guess it would
> have to use xml or some similar voodoo in order to manipulate the data
> live.
>
> openoffice.org and microsoft 2003 have very limited and very early
> functionality, sort of heading in this direction.
>
> webdav appears to be the direction that distributed computing is going when
> it comes to accessing remote file sytems. our clendars are very resposnsive
> because they are flat  files, very compact text files so the client side
> does all the graphical beautification
>
> i can't see anything on sourceforge, but maybe i am not asking the right
> questions
>
> thx dave

Google has some basic spreadsheet online. It looks amazing and very
promissing.
Google calendars are quite complete in terms of functionality. You can see and
even superimpose your calendar with friends'. Standard calendars such as many
countries' holidays are readily available.
When I set up an event in google calendar I often ask it to send me a text
message to my cell phone to remind me. This is very sweet :)

imap is also great for distributed computing. Imap folders can be tagged and
store many things. KDE Kontact comes with some functionality (as a client to
Kolab which uses IMAP if I am not mistaken).
It looks to me that the famous First Class system is using IMAP as a backend
as well (actually it has an imap server).

marc