Firefox crash under odd circumstances

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 4 19:03:39 UTC 2006

I've been using the wmii window manager for a while now.  I took a
short break to try out dwm which uses much of the same code.  My
browser of choice is Firefox, and I have the latest release for
Ubuntu, 1.5.0.7.  I use kernel 2.6.15-23-386 on Dapper Drake.  The
problem I'm having is that FF crashes under certain window managers
when I log in to gmail.  Not at the login screen, but when I get to my
inbox.  Note that I only have parts of Gnome and KDE installed, I
can't tell you if it works with them.  It crashes on: blackbox,
fluxbox, fvwm, fvwm-crystal, icewm, jwm, metacity, and wmaker.  It
does not crash on: ctwm, dwm, twm, w9wm, wm2, wmii, wmx.  Not that I
use all of those regularly - I was experimenting with fvwm-crystal and
flipped to fluxbox, only to find it was a problem there too, so I kept
trying.  The problem is always the same:

  Destroy
  The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
  The error was 'BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)'.
    (Details: serial 27 error_code 167 request_code 144 minor_code 2)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the
    gdk_x_error() function.)

The only exact match on Google for "serial 27 error_code 167
request_code 144 minor_code 2" suggested turning off JavaScript,
probably not a good idea with gmail.

This problem has continued for several months, including across a FF
upgrade (I think) and is becoming extremely frustrating.  Does anyone
have any ideas what might be causing it?

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org