Ati Radeon 7000 vs. nVidia FX 5500

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 5 01:45:33 UTC 2006

I am in the process of building my first dedicated
MythTV box (as opposed to running MythTV on my "main"
PC), using parts left over from other projects. One of
the questions I have is what video card to use, I can
use an Ati AGP Radeon 7000 (64 MB) or an XFX nVidia
AGP FX 5500 (256 MB). Now, by all reasonable measures
I know the nVidia will win out performance wise over
the Ati card (and in most areas win by a wide margin).

My problem is that there is a fan on the nVidia card.
The MythTV box already has a Duron 950 with a loud
heat sink fan, and a power supply with a loud fan, Add
in the noise of 2 x 40 GB hard drives and we are
talking a loud box. In other words I don't want to add
to the noise level if I can avoid it (and I don't have
the budget to upgrade hardware for this project).
Question is can I? As in, with a PVR 150 card for a
tuner, can I get away with an Ati Radeon 7000, and
still be able to record one show, while displaying
another? Or is the only to go with the XFX nVidia FX
5500 and live with the extra noise?

Colin McGregor