DSL install without CD drive?

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 7 02:07:08 UTC 2006

It ain't worth it. I would get a used CD drive and use that. (You have to give
*some* value to your time.)

You did not mention how much RAM you have, and whether you have a
network card. I have  a Pentium 166 that runs DSL nicely on 64mb RAM, booting
from CD. (The Intel Motherboard cannot handle more that 64mb of RAM.)

If your machine has USB ports, or even USB support on the motherboard, than
USB is an option.

If your BIOS will not allow you to boot from CDROM or a USB drive:
'Smart Boot Manager' (Google it) uses a floppy to boot from CDROM.
DSL menus offer a floppy that boots from a USB drive.

On October 5, 2006 08:01 am, Rob Sutherland wrote:
> I have this low end (120 mhz Pentium) recycled box without a CD drive, but
> with a floppy drive and 2 gig HD that I'd like to set up with DSL. I've
> come across a couple of howto type posts about how to do this, but they
> aren't too coherent. Anyone done this recently? Or know of a good
> descrition of the process?
>
> Rob

---
Duncan MacGregor --Toronto --