At the US border

James McIntosh jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 3 21:44:56 UTC 2006

At 09:08 PM 2006/10/03 +0100, David Thornton <david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>My experience has been that often "business people" think that if they
>are not paying for it , it's not professional. It's about having a
>throat to choke. They hire me cause they want to be able to

ring

You mean "wring"

my neck
>when it doesn't work. They want me to use redhat so that when it breaks
>I can

ring

You again mean "wring"

redhat's neck.

>They WANT Redhat. They need to know when I can't fix it I can call the
>monther-ship. Funny thing is , redhat support is worse than useless.
>Which is typical for most first "support groups" which is a modern
>"broken thing"
>
>http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4101280286098310645&q=broken
>
>Bah,
>David

I have had very different experiences.

My customers want commercial software, and avoid public domain, freeware
and shareware.

They only want commercial software, but much prefer to "borrow" it from a
friend, so that they don't have to pay money.

One person somewhere buys the software, and 15,000 people use it,
"pirating" it.

When I asked these employees of government and billion-dollar corporations
why they behaved that way, they said:
"Because _=WE=_ can get away with it!"

I don't want to mention the names of these employees, government
organizations or billion-dollar corporations, because I don't want libel or
slander lawsuits.

P.s.: Are you the David Thornton who spent so much time involved in SAS ?

Jim McIntosh   416-292-8126   <jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>