At the US border

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 1 02:08:50 UTC 2006

On 9/29/06, Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I worry about alienating myself if I say something about "free as in
> freedom", but I think the most sane sounding thing to say, if you want
> to clarify, is that you meant free to use, modify, and share, not free
> of cost.

This morning, Chris De Bona pointed out the important point that "free
of charge" is, in fact, one of the vital aspects.

One of the relevant freedoms is "freedom from licensing fees," and
whenever people run up the flagpole the "free as in speech, not free
as in beer," they *are* contradicting that.

There are a multiplicity of freedoms involved, and one of them *is*
freedom from people sending you  licensing bills.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.