What to do with .flv files?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 00:04:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:37:21PM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote
> I think this is "google video" format, and it's giving me headaches.
>
> I have the win32 and a bunch of other codecs loaded.
>
> Kaffeine and Xine will play the files' video but not audio.
> Mplayer will play video and audio it but won't recognize FLVs as video
> files.
> ffmpeg says it recognizes the format but gives me errors when I try to
> convert flv files to mpg.
>
> Does anyone here have suggestions on
> 1) how to get xine to play the video
> 2) how to get ffmpeg (or any other tool) to convert them to another format
>
> Thanks!

  This answer is from out in left field... close your browser
(presumably Firefox).  You probably played the video under Flash.  Flash
does *NOT* close the video device when the video finishes.  You have to
close the browser, which closes Flash, which closes the audio device.
Then it should play video and audio.

  What do you mean by "Mplayer will play video and audio it but won't
recognize FLVs as video files"?  If it plays the file, isn't that
sufficient?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca