Non-US based hosting?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 00:06:47 UTC 2006

http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/vps.asp looks like it has what you
need. Problem is you never know where their datacenter(s) is/are and
they cost way too much for what you get.

Seems a little pricey compared to someone like Quantact.com in the US
that offers a Xen based virtual server for 14.99/month, or linode.com or
unixshell.com, all of which are mostly in the same price range and offer
you full root in a XEN or UML virtual server.

I agonized over the aformentioned 3 virutal providers last week and
settled on Quantact.

For shared hosting I use dothost.ca who are based in Markham, and I hear
excellent things about blacksun.ca (python support on some plans).
Dothost doesn't have shell access which really gets to being a problem.

Go for a virtual server, for the price and the control you get, they
can't be beat. It's too bad they're all in the US which doesn't fit your
criteria, but everything else you're asking for you can setup, with a
selection of various distros as well.

You can also block those pesky law enforcement types with iptables (on
your virtual machine of course) and a blocklist from bluetack.co.uk
( http://tinyurl.com/yc49ug for a full list of bluetack's blocklists ).

Unless we can get some TLUG'ers to get together and start up a properly
competitive XEN or UML hosting company, I think south of the border is
your only intelligent choice (in terms of cost), but I'm with on
wholeheartedly on having my data across the border as the DMCA and
Patriot act bother me greatly.

Jamon