Non-US based hosting?

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 15:04:43 UTC 2006

Not meaning to be too alarmist, but...

> You can also block those pesky law enforcement types with iptables (on

Don't bet on it.  The Patriot Act and friends would allow the FBI to go
to your hosting company and tell them to clone your machine (which they
could probably do with Xen without even interrupting your machine), and
you'd never even know until you tried to enter the US sometime later.
And blocking their IPs would sure attract me if I were the FBI, as would
the simple fact that you were a foriegn national.  I wouldn't be too
surprised if the FBI routinely asks hosting companies for their foreign
customer lists - I would if I were them.

An encrypted file system with a *long* diceware password would be about
all I would trust.  (Given the amount of known data in a filesystem and
the amount of compute power the NSA could bring to bear, I'd want a
thousand bits or more of entrophy.)

Realize that your gmail, hotmail, and yahoo (regardless if any of those
are even *physically* outside the US) are subject to examination by the
FBI.  It is arguable that even if some US company has a maintenance
account on your machine that they can be compelled to surreptitiously
extract information from you.

../Dave