Yet more mindless self promotion

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 7 20:42:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 12:17:15PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Bottom line is your machine will not run Quake 4 in a
> playable fashion. Your CPU is more than fast enough,
> you have enough RAM, the problem is your video card. I
> started by attempting to play Quake 4 on a machine
> with an nVidia GeForce FX 5500, and the screen was
> jerky and the game was basicly unplayable. A shift to
> a GeForce 6200 and the game became quite playable
> (though NOT at the higher screen resolutions). The
> NVidia GeForce 4 as I understand it are not quite as
> good as the GeForce FX 5500. Now I paid about $60 for
> a GeForce 6200 card, so you are not talking big money
> to make your machine able to play Quake 4, but you
> will need the hardware upgrade.

Hmm, I would have thought a 6200 was pathetic at everything, and a 5500
was workable.  Looking at the specs though, the 6200 is actually
slightly better than a 5500 in every way, and has 3 times the VPUs
available.  That should certainly make shader code happier.

All I know is, that my 6600GT was a major improvement over my TNT2. :)

--
Len Sorensen