Yet more mindless self promotion

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 8 02:16:30 UTC 2006

--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 12:17:15PM -0500, Colin
> McGregor wrote:
> > Bottom line is your machine will not run Quake 4
> in a
> > playable fashion. Your CPU is more than fast
> enough,
> > you have enough RAM, the problem is your video
> card. I
> > started by attempting to play Quake 4 on a machine
> > with an nVidia GeForce FX 5500, and the screen was
> > jerky and the game was basicly unplayable. A shift
> > a GeForce 6200 and the game became quite playable
> > (though NOT at the higher screen resolutions). The
> > NVidia GeForce 4 as I understand it are not quite
> as
> > good as the GeForce FX 5500. Now I paid about $60
> for
> > a GeForce 6200 card, so you are not talking big
> money
> > to make your machine able to play Quake 4, but you
> > will need the hardware upgrade.
>
> Hmm, I would have thought a 6200 was pathetic at
> everything, and a 5500
> was workable.  Looking at the specs though, the 6200
> is actually
> slightly better than a 5500 in every way, and has 3
> times the VPUs
> available.  That should certainly make shader code
> happier.

Yes, something I was carefull to check on. When I
realised that the 5500 would not cut it with Quake 4 I
asked the question "What is the cheapest video card
that can support "Quake 4"?". A bit of research,
asking around and I had my answer, the 6200.

One nice point about the version of the 6200 that I
have over the 5500 that I have is that the 6200 does
NOT have a fan (the value of this being that at some
point I expect I will use the 6200 in a MythTV box,
where you want QUIET).

> All I know is, that my 6600GT was a major
> improvement over my TNT2. :)

That would have been a night vs. day difference, I
trust you are enjoying (and I trust you have some
software, like say Quake 4 that can actually push that
video card :-) ).