Best Laptop for Linux

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 7 01:32:33 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 13:17, Alex Maynard wrote:
> Since I'm in the market for a laptop, I thought I'd revive an old thread.

[snip]

> I'd be grateful for any thoughts or advice you might have.

I have a few months old Dell Inspiron 6400.  It has the Core Duo T2500 IIRC.
It works well with the latest kubuntu, even those cute volume and mute
buttons work out of the box.

One rather large issue I have with it though is that the onboard NIC uses the
b44 driver and this driver works poorly, if at all, under Xen.

If you're thinking to run Xen I'd steer clear of laptops with this NIC.  I've
seen rumours that it can be made to work but so far my limited attempts have
failed so I'm using USB ethernet instead to run my Kubuntu/Xen RHEL laptop
cluster ;-)