Best Laptop for Linux

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 7 02:04:17 UTC 2006

I have a lot of respect for Emperor Linux; However, their value-add
diminishes daily, IMO.

Every new release of desktop distributions such as Linspire, (K)ubuntu
Mandriva or PCLinuxOS makes Linux easier to install from the bootup CD.
Anyone with enough skill (and sense) to ask a question on this list is
capable of putting in a CD, repartitioning the disk and getting to speed
in a reasonable amount of time. The old looking-for-drivers slog isn't
what it used to be -- distros now have support for docking stations,
accelerated X drivers, and other peripherals better than ever.

I've personally had very good luck with Thinkpads (X and T series), and
find them extremely well supported by tools such as tpctl and sites such
as thinkwiki.org

- Evan