MythTV install workshop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 1 18:27:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 02:44:48PM -0500, Robert F. Kennedy wrote:
> I'm interested in this workshop too. BTW, Factory direct has a few of the
> AVC-2410 see http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/category_list.php?cat=0810 but
> they are now $49. Where can the coupon be found, I checked this weeks flyer
> - nothing?
>
> Can someone explain what is the difference between video card and TV tuner?
> Are some cards a combination of video and TV tuner?

A video card sends output to your monitor/tv/whatever.  A tuner card
received cable or off the air tv signals, and other video signals, and
encodes them, thus providing an input.  So video card is output, tuner
card is input.

ATI's all in wonder series do both, although support under linux has
never been that great, and I always have had the impression that they
end up being both a worse video card and a worse tuner as a result of
being combined.  It is also easier to upgrade when they are seperate.

--
Len Sorensen