Kernel and hardware detection

bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 7 15:51:52 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to create a Knoppix remaster. Unfortunately, Knoppix 4.0.2
has some serious issues with some PCI *hardware* modems
(http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21064&highlight=detect+pci+modem),
and sure enough my USR PCI hardware modem is not detected.

I'm using the book "Hacking Knoppix" and it shows details on
installing and configuring a different kernel in your remaster. I was
thinking of getting one of the Kanotix kernels (a Knoppix remaster
which DOES detect my modem properly).

Can someone tell me if this is the correct action to take... basically
is hardware detecting functions contained in the kernel?? I'm using
VMware to remaster, so I don't mind doing a little experimenting if I
am on the right track.

Thanks for any help!

-Steve.