Kernel and hardware detection

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat May 13 05:42:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 11:51:52AM -0400, bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a Knoppix remaster. Unfortunately, Knoppix 4.0.2
> has some serious issues with some PCI *hardware* modems
> (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21064&highlight=detect+pci+modem),
> and sure enough my USR PCI hardware modem is not detected.
>
> I'm using the book "Hacking Knoppix" and it shows details on
> installing and configuring a different kernel in your remaster. I was
> thinking of getting one of the Kanotix kernels (a Knoppix remaster
> which DOES detect my modem properly).
>
> Can someone tell me if this is the correct action to take... basically
> is hardware detecting functions contained in the kernel?? I'm using
> VMware to remaster, so I don't mind doing a little experimenting if I
> am on the right track.

  I'm a bit late with the reply, but here goes.  Are you familiar with
building your own kernel via "make config"?  Try the following menu
path...

Device Drivers  --->
Character devices  --->
Serial drivers  --->
(32)   Maximum number of 8250/16550 serial ports

  The default is 4, i.e. ttyS0..ttyS3 (COM1:..COM4 in DOS).  My 1999
Dell has a USR PCI internal modem which always shows up as /dev/ttyS4.
If I don't over-ride the default, the internal modem is not detected by
pppconfig.  I've seen reports of some people's modems showing up as
/dev/ttyS14 (COM15: !!!), so I suggest a high value to play it safe.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca