Resource project + old computers reused with Linux

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 22 17:28:20 UTC 2006

Hi

Here in the Uk my self and two other members have formed open devon,  we
may have got hold of some old computers p2/p3 type hardware, and would
like to give these away (or sell cheaply) in a similar way I guess to
resource project but on a much smaller scale,  I have posted a link so
the other members can have a read of what that is about.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or experience of reinstalling
computers with Linux. and issuing them to schools / community groups.
One concern I have raised is the issue of support,  as there are lots of
books out there for WIndows, and people used to windows can do tasks
just by reading a book. but going from Windows to Linux to me is a
different matter due to the new learning curve involved,

One plan is to set up a LTSP type network somewhere, e.g a school,  I
suggested giving equipment to families or people who don't have a
computer, as this was what you do at Resource Project.

Hopefully when in Canada I can get involved with resource project,  so I
can help out, then share my experience within Canada, learn new skills
and help this project in the UK,  at the end of the day we are taking
working computers and preventing these ending up in landfill, and
hopefully in the process helping to bridge the digital divide.

One last note,  looks like Visa has been delayed till November 06 for
corporate users, and January 07 for other users.

Any ideas welcome

Paul