/bckupdrv how big?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 14 15:04:55 UTC 2006

Chris Aitken <caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Chris Aitken wrote:
>
> > Tim Writer wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> This change will not take affect until you reboot. But don't do that because
>
> >> the above sounds like there may be some confusion between what is your backup
>
> >> drive and what is /. Please e-mail your complete /etc/fstab (from beforeyou
>
> >> modified it),
> >
> I still had the modified fstab when I rebooted this morning. I got a prompt
> to enter root password or hit Ctrl-D. I entered the root password and vi
> /etc/fstab. I modified the line...
>
> /dev/hdb1                 /bckupdrv               ext3    defaults        1 2
>

> back to the original...
> LABEL=/                 /bckupdrv               ext3    defaults        1 2
>
> However the system won't let me save fstab. I get "can't open file for
> writing" when I try to save with wq!

When you're in maintenance mode, Red Hat has not yet mounted the root file
system read-only. You can fix it like this:

    # mount -n -o remount,rw /

The above changes will not fix your problem because at this point, you no
longer have any file systems on /dev/hdb. We wiped out the partition table,
remember? Simply comment out the /bckupdrv line (insert # at the beginning of
the line) for now.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada