/bckupdrv how big?

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 14 14:18:39 UTC 2006

Chris Aitken wrote:

> Tim Writer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> This change will not take affect until you reboot. But don't do that
>> because
>> the above sounds like there may be some confusion between what is
>> your backup
>> drive and what is /. Please e-mail your complete /etc/fstab (from
>> before you
>> modified it),

I still had the modified fstab when I rebooted this morning. I got a
prompt to enter root password or hit Ctrl-D. I entered the root password
and vi /etc/fstab. I modified the line...
/dev/hdb1                 /bckupdrv               ext3
defaults        1 2

back to the original...
LABEL=/                 /bckupdrv               ext3    defaults        1 2

However the system won't let me save fstab. I get "can't open file for
writing" when I try to save with wq!

Maybe even though I was prompted for the root password I'm not really
logged on as root. Or maybe fstab is open hence can't be altered.

Is there a way I can logon as root before fstab loads?

Chris

<snip>