TOC Linux

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 7 05:15:36 UTC 2006

In my experience, if you treat people like idiots, they will (usually) act
like idiots. If you treat people like they're smart, they will work harder to
gain understanding. Windows treats people like they're stupid and you see the
result.

Tim

P.S. Sorry for top posting, just following suit.

Rick Tomaschuk <rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> writes:

> My apologies to you. I'm somewhat jaded from an end user training point
> of view. Having worked with 'professionals' in accounting, law,
> engineers, medical and so on I've never been so amazed at the attitudes
> of these so called 'professionals'. The attitude of which I speak have
> been:
>
> 1) "Well I've bought the best computer out there...why doesn't it
> work??" which translates into: "Well I've bought the best car on the
> market...now you expect me to learn how to drive too???"
>
> 2) "No I didn't delete anything." (when its so blatantly obvious that
> they or someone did hence the reason for their PC not working properly.)
>
> 3) "Why doesn't the server work? Someone was just in last week." This
> from an office manager whose server in a law firm supporting 30 users
> was of less quality than my desktop at home and they are too cheap to
> put out some $$ to upgrade it.
>
> While many of the 'professionals' may be adequate for their chosen
> profession I sincerely question their mental capacity from a
> technological point of view hence my eval of them. Often times these
> professionals will use 'stupid' comments to throw the tech off guard so
> the be billing for the visit can be reduced.
>
> RickT
>

> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 11:24 -0500, Angelina Carlton wrote:
> > Rick Tomaschuk <rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > > I agree completely. The majority of users from a technical point of view
> > > are largely brain dead and from a company perspective this is generally
> > > preferred. All managers and users want to know is what icon to click on
> > > and how to use their applications. Computers are tools in the office. Do
> > > you need a course to use a calculator? Generally no. The costs for
> > > retraining are for support staff. Has anyone attend seminars on window$
> > > secruity? I have. window$ has become more complex than UNIX. As window$
> > > support costs spiral out of control due to the increasing complexity of
> > > the product, UNIX/Linux looks more attractive due to its stability.
> >
> > I see a couple of things in this quote that reflects the IT dept in my
> > company. First off, a computer is considerably more complex than a
> > calculator so I cannot understand this analogy at all and am
> > surprised that some one in IT would draw such a conclusion.
> >
> > A CNC machine is also a tool, I doubt its users just jump in there with no
> > training either. Training can be very powerful, useful and time-saving, even
> > if its training in IE and Excel.
> >
> > Secondly, even from a technical point of view, the majority users are not
> > brain dead. Just because my job involves accounts and materials and
> > contracts does not mean I am incapable of learning a programming
> > language or recompiling a kernel.
> >
> > The majority of users are more likely on par intelligence wise with
> > anyone of their colleagues in IT.
> >
> > If I am to be "trained" by someone who perceived me as brain dead then I
> [...]

tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada