TOC Linux

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 7 13:20:26 UTC 2006

On March 7, 2006 12:15 am, Tim Writer wrote:
> In my experience, if you treat people like idiots, they will (usually) act
> like idiots. If you treat people like they're smart, they will work harder
> to gain understanding. Windows treats people like they're stupid and you
> see the result.

When you work with people, it is a good idea to come to terms with specialties
and experience.
Your clients are always smart, but they have different specialties from you.
You need to use your specialty to help them in their specialty. You need to
establish a mutual understanding that change is not effortless, and not best
undertaken alone.

Clients feel guilty that the solutions to problems they face alone are not
self-evident. Be cooperative.

They are embarrassed to ask for your help, so put them at ease.

Avoid technological pissing contests; they are not helpful. Just don't play
that game. Get on your client's side and be helpful.

Avoid buzzwords altogether, as a rule. Share buzzwords with your clients as
you would share ammunition.

 You need a relationship with your clients in which they are able to benefit
from your experience and your expertise.