TOC Linux

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 3 18:21:41 UTC 2006

This is an excellent response. I agree that most people are capable of understanding how a computer program or language works if properly explained. I have had to audit courses for suitability for clients before, and my biggest complaint isn't the content of the course but the people doing the teaching (and usually the unsuitability of the exercises). I have met very few people that can't be taught how to use a program, language, OS etc... The real problems are the teachers, and the attitude the students.

On the comment of Windows becoming more complex than UNIX. Windows NT has always been more complex than UNIX especially its security model. The model is so complex in fact that most windows administers don't understand windows security and consequently choose either totally permissive or total lockdown as the default options. I had gone through an entire security audit for a NT machine being placed in production in 1999 ( think big anal company that answers to government regulation about security). The audit itself took a week. That is four people in a meeting 8 hours a day going through every OS security mechanism, every firewall setting, every application level security mechanism implemented. It was not fun, and more importantly it was a much more complicated system than UNIX system I had ever dealt with.