Laptop friendly Linux distros

Wed Jun 21 17:17:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:38:58PM -0400, Jason Spiro wrote:
>>These days there are a large number of distros that come with live CD
>>counterparts - run them as a live CD and test.
>
>Except for Debian. I wonder what happened with the Debian Live project...

It is still happening, as far as I know - but you don't need one for
Debian, because configs from Knoppix, Morphix, Mepis, Ubuntu and others
will work on Debian.

>It is frustrating in general that Debian does not focus as much as
>Ubuntu on user friendliness. Although they are improving, e.g. with
>the new graphical installer in Etch, they are often a step behind:
>e.g. Ubuntu's gnome-app-install does not work on Debian, e-mail me
>off-list for details why.

The primary focus for Debian is creating a tightly integrated system
that is apt-tastic - i.e. all significant system customization can be
done with the package manager - on a wide range of hardware.

>Am I supposed to move to Ubuntu? I love Debian though, it Just Works.

You can use Ubuntu as an install disk for Debian - change your apt
sources.list to point at Debian repositories, run an apt-get
dist-upgrade, and then maintain it as a Debian system henceforth, with
the configurations all set up by Ubuntu people for whom out-of-the-box
perfection is their primary interest.  It's not perfect - I usually
install Debian and use live CD configs to tune it rather than the other
way around.  As always, test carefully and treat your data as the
precious thing it is.
--

yours,

William