Laptop friendly Linux distros

Jason Spiro jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 21 17:32:42 UTC 2006

On 6/21/06, William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The primary focus for Debian is creating a tightly integrated system
> that is apt-tastic - i.e. all significant system customization can be
> done with the package manager - on a wide range of hardware.

So they don't mind it if most prospective users end up using Ubuntu,
as Distrowatch seems to indicate is happening? Why have two separate
distros, Debian and Ubuntu, each somewhat different? Why is it bad if
the Linux community standardizes mostly on one distro (Debian)? Of
course, to do that, Debian would probably have to focus less on
portability to so many architectures, and more on
usability/documentation issues. The lack of portability would be a
blow to the alternatives-to-i386-amd64-or-sparc-on-the-desktop camp
but it seems that camp is fairly dead anyway. :)

> You can use Ubuntu as an install disk for Debian - change your apt
> sources.list to point at Debian repositories, run an apt-get
> dist-upgrade, and then maintain it as a Debian system henceforth, with
> the configurations all set up by Ubuntu people for whom out-of-the-box
> perfection is their primary interest.  It's not perfect - I usually
> install Debian and use live CD configs to tune it rather than the other
> way around.  As always, test carefully and treat your data as the
> precious thing it is.

Yes, and there's the uncurse shell script abrotman from IRC #debian
wrote and put up on his website:
http://www.linuks.mine.nu/ubuntu/uncurse

The shell script is supposed to transform an installed Ubuntu system
into Debian. People on IRC used to sometimes run into problems after
they tried it. I haven't been on IRC recently, so I don't know the
latest news.

But it seems to me such configurations would be unsupported, and that
it would be unfair request support on such a config without telling
people you're using it. And what percentage of people on IRC would
help out people using such a config? :)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Windows XP / Server 2003, and others.