So Rogers has lost me as a customer...

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 22:09:35 UTC 2006

On 28-Jan-06, at 14:40, Byron Sonne wrote:

> However I'm not sure what to do about getting a new service
> provider. I do alot of downloads and uploads, and for once I'd like
> a company that guarantee me some level of service and will put it
> on paper that I can run servers. I work from home alot, and I'd
> like to be able to run a small honeynet too.
>
> Goals: better than Rogers Extreme service, which is allegedly 8
> Mbps down and 640 Kbps up. I'd rather not spend more than $100 a
> month. Residential service, too, although if I can get a phat
> business DSL line at a good price in this area of forest hill I'd
> totally consider that option.

Ok, you want a written SLA, 8 up .64 down and all for less than $100.
With a couple of static IPs or maybe a /28.

Good luck. If you do manage to find someone, and they're in business
for more than three months, please let me know.

Personally, if I was going to get serious about my network connection
again, I'd look for a company with a physically local POP and then
get my firewall / router / micro-server / modem in there. Then you
have the best of both worlds.

First, your server is located in a data-center which eliminates a
number of headaches.
Second, you have full control of your uplink so you can shape your
traffic any which way that pleases you.
Third, you can upgrade your uplink whatever way pleases you. Wanna
run the latest greatest flavour of DSL? Buy a pair of modems and go
nuts.
Fourth, this is the first step towards getting an ASN, which would be
pretty darn cool.

> Gonna be a drag to lose the blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org email address, but
> I'll survive. Might finally get around to registering my own
> domain, so maybe I need some kind of package deal, eh? :)

May I suggest a .INFO or .ORG domain? It's always good to buy
locally. :)

Personally, once I went with gmail, I never looked back. Hosting my
own email was a good learning experience, but in the end it was just
a pain. I only did it to get the spam filtering, which gmail has. YMMV.

Andrew Hammond    416-673-4138    ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Data Services Group Manager, Afilias Canada Corp. Ltd.
CB83 2838 4B67 D40F D086 3568 81FC E7E5 27AF 4A9A