So Rogers has lost me as a customer...

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 22:50:28 UTC 2006

> Ok, you want a written SLA, 8 up .64 down and all for less than $100.
> With a couple of static IPs or maybe a /28.

I'm not asking for a CIR or anything, just a piece of paper that
actually tells me what they are giving me and under what terms -- with
useful technical info *and* the legalese boilerplate. And info that
tells me to what extent they'll back me up or if they'll fold like
pussies the moment someone complains I telnet'd to their server's smtp
port to get their MTA version.

Oh, and that they'll tell me a healthy chunk of time before they make
changes to the TOS and not sneak them in.

A static IP would be nice, but I could make do with a dynamic one when I
really think about it. A couple addresses would be nice too. Heck, the
addresses in my area are practically static anyways the leases stick
around so long.

You're telling me they can't offer a 'power-user/soho' package with two
IPs (one static IP, one dynamic), 8 up 800 down (same as the extreme
package), totally let you run servers, live techs without wading through
voice-mail, with a decent SLA or guarantee, perhaps a reasonably priced
one-time domain registration fee, and do this all for $100, or at least
under $120? C'mon.

Maybe if they took care to prevent people leaching cable service (or
stopped letting people receive cable for 6 months after they 'cut' your
service) so they could make some more cash I'd cut them some more slack.

And they could probably cut out any of that useless portal crap that
no-one uses if that exists anymore.

> If you do manage to find someone, and they're in business for
> more than three months, please let me know.

That's not too far off from the truth, sadly. The moment I do,
*everyone* will know :)

We really need some cable-internet carrier competition. Rogers are douches.