OT: Region Free DVD Players

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 14:01:01 UTC 2006

In a thread earlier this month there was a discussion about region free
DVD players.

I bought a "hackable" Philips DVP642/37 DVD player for a friend of mine
(U of T graduate student, needed to play region 2 dvds) from Best Buy
for around $70 (refurbished).

After the hack said player was reported to have played region 2 dvds. I
was probably too hasty in applying the hack. Should have tested whether
said DVDs would have played before the adjustment.

Copied and pasted from this site:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Philips+DVP+642

Region code hack posted by Joe Moe, April 30 2004:
The hack published by Mats-Åke Larsson works perfectly on my DVP642. I'm
copying it here for your viewing pleasure:

1. Turn on the player.
2. Open the tray.
3. Press the following sequence on the remote:
7 8 9 OK 0
4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy! :)

NOTE: The 0 in the sequence above represents the region code. 0 = region
free. If you want to change your player to just a specific region code,
replace the 0 with the region number you want.

The hack should be perfectly safe, but USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK!

Possibly Philips has updated the firmware and this may no longer be
possible to do.

Ivan.