OT: Region Free DVD Players

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 17:00:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:01:01AM -0500, Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> In a thread earlier this month there was a discussion about region free
> DVD players.
>
> I bought a "hackable" Philips DVP642/37 DVD player for a friend of mine
> (U of T graduate student, needed to play region 2 dvds) from Best Buy
> for around $70 (refurbished).
>
> After the hack said player was reported to have played region 2 dvds. I
> was probably too hasty in applying the hack. Should have tested whether
> said DVDs would have played before the adjustment.
>
> Copied and pasted from this site:
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Philips+DVP+642
>
> Region code hack posted by Joe Moe, April 30 2004:
> The hack published by Mats-??ke Larsson works perfectly on my DVP642. I'm
> copying it here for your viewing pleasure:
>
> 1. Turn on the player.
> 2. Open the tray.
> 3. Press the following sequence on the remote:
> 7 8 9 OK 0
> 4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
> 5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy! :)
>
> NOTE: The 0 in the sequence above represents the region code. 0 = region
> free. If you want to change your player to just a specific region code,
> replace the 0 with the region number you want.
>
> The hack should be perfectly safe, but USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK!
>
> Possibly Philips has updated the firmware and this may no longer be
> possible to do.

I still think it might be simpler to just buy one of the pre modified
players.  You can certainly buy replacement firmware chips for many
players to change them too.  I saw many region free players while out
shopping on the weekend in the $75 to $100 range.  Many also claim
mpeg4/divx support.

Len Sorensen