Is this a problem the OSS community could handle?

Tue Jan 31 00:42:17 UTC 2006

I was talking to a doctor the other day who is working with hospitals in
the developing world.  He said something that I thought was interesting,
and I wanted to bounce it off the list.  Apparently, he can get his
hands on a number of USB powered ultrasound wands (the kind used to see
images of babies in utero), which would greatly assist doctors who
otherwise have no access to useful diagnostic tools.  While the wands
could be purchased and taken to hospitals in Africa, there is no way to
license the software to use them.

The question is, if all you had was a bunch of these wands, could the
OSS community create driver and imaging software for them?  I know it's
beyond me, there are some incredibly talented people out there who might
be interested in this challenge.  Any opinions?
--

yours,

William