Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

Mon Jan 23 20:29:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:03:52AM -0500, Rick Delaney wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:34:00PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> have to.  Here's the question:  do I really need to run the CD, or do I
>> just plug the damn thing in, plug an Ethernet cable into it, and hit its
>> IP address?
>
>What happened when you tried it?  It will work fine without the CD.

I never did try it before checking with the list - the sticker over the
ports telling me not to spooked me.  As suggested, the router came right
up, and I was able to configure it... to a point.

I was hoping to use WPA to get the appearance of security.  I followed
the directions here <http://www.vollink.com/gary/deb_wifi.html>, but
every time I turn on WPA on the router I am no longer able to access it.
ifplugd doesn't seem to do anything with my laptop's PCMCIA card.

If I take matters into my own hands like so:

Pull and replace the wireless card
# ifdown eth0
# iwconfig eth0 essid $ESSID
# ifup eth0

I bring the card up, and it searches fruitlessly for an IP.  Am I doing
something wrong?

Also, while I'm usually delighted to use the command line (I spend
almost all my time in the console or terminal anyway) for finding and
joining wireless networks I'd love a graphical tool.  Does anyone know
of a good one?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William