Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

marius anarcap-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 22 06:48:06 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Rick Delaney <rick-h4KjNK7Mzas at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:34:00PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> > have to.  Here's the question:  do I really need to run the CD, or do I
> > just plug the damn thing in, plug an Ethernet cable into it, and hit its
> > IP address?
>
> What happened when you tried it?  It will work fine without the CD.

There's no need to to run the CD to configure the router. As was
already said, just point your browser at 192.168.1.1 and log in as
admin:admin.

As an aside, I bought a number of these routers at Staples (they were
on special) and reflashed them with OpenWRT http://openwrt.org (made
one of the sales guys check the serial numbers on all their inventory
to make sure they're v4 and not v5).

It is possible to reflash the router with White Russian RC4 through
the Linksys web interface without spending time on any of the hacks to
enable boot_wait and TFTP (at least on the v4).

//mts

--
"Playing safe is only playing."
         Fortune Cookie from Simon's Wok