Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 24 00:33:48 UTC 2006

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I was hoping to use WPA to get the appearance of security.  I followed
> the directions here <http://www.vollink.com/gary/deb_wifi.html>, but
> every time I turn on WPA on the router I am no longer able to access it.
> ifplugd doesn't seem to do anything with my laptop's PCMCIA card.

I had a hard time with Shared and WPA on the WRT54G with IPW2200 (intel). I just
ended up setting authentication to auto and it seems to work, with the below
additions that is.

> If I take matters into my own hands like so:
>
> Pull and replace the wireless card
> # ifdown eth0
> # iwconfig eth0 essid $ESSID
> # ifup eth0
>
> I bring the card up, and it searches fruitlessly for an IP.  Am I doing
> something wrong?

The missing part is wpasupplicant. You need to install and configure it (if you
haven't already?) to use your home network. ifdown and ifup won't help if it is
not running as they will only bring the card up or down in a wep or open state.
It should run by default on startup. Which wireless card are you using? You'll
need to specify different options in the /etc/default/wpasupplicant depending on
your card.

> Also, while I'm usually delighted to use the command line (I spend
> almost all my time in the console or terminal anyway) for finding and
> joining wireless networks I'd love a graphical tool.  Does anyone know
> of a good one?  Thanks.

I think I heard Network Manager will have WPA support in its next major release.
I've heard wifi-radar works well for some.

Jamon