disgustingly offtopic: energy shopping

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 18:47:12 UTC 2006

William Park wrote:

>Actually, I'm interested any explanation, as to why people keep knocking
>on my doors trying to sell gas and (now) electricity.  On surface, prices are fixed for 5 years.  But, isn't that what government supposed to be doing already?

No. In fact from what I'm finding, the "default" suppliers (Enbridge,
TorontoHydro) are not even allowed to fix rates. It seems that they
estimate what the rate is going to be and charge you that. If it turns
out they had to pay more, get get to recover it from you later as an
adjustment. I started my energy shopping after receiving a bill for one
such "adjustment". :-(

- Evan