Xenophobia (was Re:jobs in Linux / IT)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 01:29:38 UTC 2006

On 1/18/06, Zbigniew Koziol <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Actually, my mind is still functioning more in terms of physics, which
> is more my real profession. When I walk by the street I see physics
> everywhere around me. I "see" the quanta of light, photons, send to me
> by other objects around, at night I see the light from stars as distant
> as millions of light-years. I wonder how my cell phone is build that it
> can detect so weak radio signal from another phone in a remote place of
> the city. I think even why the sky at night is not entirely full of
> light ("Orbach paradox"). And how is that related to Schroedinger
> equation, entanglement of photons and electrons transversing the entire
> Universe. Even more: when I think about social phenomena, I am used to
> invoke from my memories analogies to statistical physics or theory of
> "self organized criticality", diffusion of air particles and diffusion
> of space dust or galaxies, to think in terms of E=mc2 and vortices in
> superconductors, or spins in a magnet (heh, not so many of you are aware
> that these tiny magnets you use everyday in many invisible engines are
> the macroscopic proof of validity of quantum mechanics!) Or even these
> bits and bites flipping on hard drive could not happen if quantum
> mechanics was true.
>
> Everything is connected together and related. According to some, we even
> breathe the same air and have thoughts exchanged through telepathy.  No,
> telepathy is not a part of physics, but physics can not exclude that
> there is merit there.
>
> Look broader, breath deeper! ;)
>
> Regards,
> zb.

zb - Wow.  Some day we're going to have to get together and talk
theory.  I look at the world in much the same way, just it's more like
a hobby than a profession.  :-)

When I was 10, I learned Boolean logic and Algebra by playing with the
BASIC programming language (Commodore 64).  I learned what fundamental
laws were.  lol, turned me into an addict.

Have you read Cargo Cult Science, by Richard Feynman?

http://www.physics.brocku.ca/etc/cargo_cult_science.html

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com