Xenophobia (was Re:jobs in Linux / IT)

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 02:03:55 UTC 2006

Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Zbigniew Koziol <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Everything is connected together and related. According to some, we even
>> breathe the same air and have thoughts exchanged through telepathy.  No,
>> telepathy is not a part of physics, but physics can not exclude that
>> there is merit there.
>>
>> Look broader, breath deeper! ;)
>>

> zb - Wow.  Some day we're going to have to get together and talk
> theory.  I look at the world in much the same way, just it's more like
> a hobby than a profession.  :-)
>
> When I was 10, I learned Boolean logic and Algebra by playing with the
> BASIC programming language (Commodore 64).  I learned what fundamental
> laws were.  lol, turned me into an addict.
>
> Have you read Cargo Cult Science, by Richard Feynman?
>
> http://www.physics.brocku.ca/etc/cargo_cult_science.html

When I was at high school, at the age of about 15, a young new female
teacher (which with we in some sense had a sort of Platonic love) told
me: "lets read Feynman". Fortunately, his books, "Feynman Lectures on
Physics", were available at the public library, in Polish translation,
at my city of Zamosc in Poland.

They changed my mind. If anybody knows - this is a sort of classic
writing now. 5 thick textbooks used actually by students at
universities. I passed them all at that time.

In my PhD thesis I have a "motto" from Feynman and than a citation at
the end of my entire thesis, also from Feynman.

I enjoy reading the text you send a link to.

Feynman was a sort of artist and a great thinker. Now, however, I view
him as a someone who becomes too classic. He was a genious in the sense
that he did fit into the times he lived in. He even impressed me, living
30 or 50 years later. Now however I see his ideas limited. May be
because I start to understand their significance?

It seems that physics, that in fact was quite and did not produce any
remarkable results changing the philosophical grounds of human thinking
for many decades, that it is almost ready to wake up. I feel the smell.

Yes, Scott, I will be pleased to talk with you more privately.

zb.