IBM laptop

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 16 00:58:46 UTC 2006

On 1/15/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> >And the killer question:  How do you find that URL from elsewhere at
> >the Lenovo web site?  If you search the Lenovo site looking for
> >"Linux", you just get pointers to IBM Global Services.
> >

> It's hardly a killer question; indeed, it's a technical rather than a
> political/policy one. To find the page myself, I had to do the horribly
> difficult chore of googling "lenovo linux"; it's not the first time that
> I've found Google's search capabilities to surpass those of the sites
> themselves.

No, this is NOT a technical question.

How easy it is to find Linux support on the Lenovo site most certainly
*does* tell us something about what kind of priority it represents to
them.

If they thought it was important to their sales effort, a link to that
page would be prominent.  The fact that they don't make it easy
(possible?) to find it without resorting to outside resources is a
message, and not a technical one.

I'll bet that if you call someone at Lenovo and ask about Linux
support, you'll not have a particularly easy time finding it.  That
has been my experience in talking with them in person...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)