CIDR - networking

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 17:37:35 UTC 2006

Hi
 Thanks for the response. I suspected most modern host will work with
CIRD, but haven't seen it used widely. Since it has been over 10 years
since CIRD came to existance, this should not be the case and I
wondered whether there was a technical reason behind it and hence the
email
 Now Knott, since you have experience with this set up, have you came
across a problem that you can attribute to CIRD misconfiguration? What
were the symptoms, just in case I ever happen to come across that
issue? Allen mentioned an instance where CIRD can not be used and this
may lead to a situation where classed and classless system network.
 One last thing, am I correct to assume one identify whether a host is
configured with class or classless system by using "ifconfig" and
"route" commands and then looking at the netmask?

Thank you
William