CIDR - networking

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 19:51:58 UTC 2006

Kihara Muriithi wrote:
> Hi
>  Thanks for the response. I suspected most modern host will work with
> CIRD, but haven't seen it used widely. Since it has been over 10 years
> since CIRD came to existance, this should not be the case and I
> wondered whether there was a technical reason behind it and hence the
> email
>  Now Knott, since you have experience with this set up, have you came
> across a problem that you can attribute to CIRD misconfiguration? What
> were the symptoms, just in case I ever happen to come across that
> issue? Allen mentioned an instance where CIRD can not be used and this
> may lead to a situation where classed and classless system network.
>  One last thing, am I correct to assume one identify whether a host is
> configured with class or classless system by using "ifconfig" and
> "route" commands and then looking at the netmask?

As I understand it, if you have a subnet mask where you can specify how
many bit to use, you have CIRD.  As I don't ever recall working with a
non CIDR system, I can't speak to any problems caused by it.  Bear in
mind, that any CIDR system can be configured to behave like a non CIDR
system.

Then again, given the scarcity of non-CIDR systems these days, why are
you so concerned with it?  In the 12 years I've been working with IP,
I've never seen anything but CIDR.  Address classes have been obsolete
for years.