CIDR - networking

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 14:23:07 UTC 2006

On Sun Jan 08,2006 08:26:30 AM James Knott wrote:
> I have never seen a system that required address classes.  I've
> always been able to use CIRD.

AFAIK if you want to use the /etc/networks file to resolve network
names (as you do with hosts in /etc/hosts), then you have to stick
with network classes because /etc/networks does not allow you to
specify a mask. If you resolve network names using DNS or just use
numbered IP addresses, then /etc/networks is not required and CIDR
can be used.

Other than the /etc/networks file, I haven't come across anything in
Linux that is IP class dependent, unless you want to use RIP V1 as a
routing protocol.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **