Instructions for LVM?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 4 21:39:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:29:02PM -0400, Tony Abou-Assaleh wrote:
> With regards to the /boot ...
>
> Ubuntu says that LILO supports booting from LVM, but GRUB does not. I've
> been successful in making an Ubuntu box with RAID 1 on two 200GB SATA
> drives. Each drive includes a single primary partition of type RAID and
> the rest is LVM.
>
> After a few days of trying, I am still unsuccessful in getting the same
> setup going on two 250GB EIDE drives. LILO fails to load the kernel, RAID
> or no RAID, but GRUB works fine without RAID.

Personally I used to manually mirror /boot partitions before grub
supported software raid1.  Now that it does software raid1, I use md
raid1 for /boot (which I should really have as part of / given there is
no reason not to anymore).

I do not put / on LVM, since I like having at least a minimal system
bootable if something does get messed up.  I know some initrd generating
tools now do LVM, but a year and a half ago, few if any did.

So really, keeping / seperate from lvm seems simpler for booting and
system recovery and such.

Len Sorensen