Instructions for LVM?

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 4 22:24:34 UTC 2006

I got my problem solved, it seems. I was using an older IDE cable on which
HDDs worked fine if accessed only one at a time (either master or slave),
but didn't with a RAID boot .. weird.

Anyway, I found, experimentally, that putting /boot on LVM on a RAID
partition slows down the system boot by about 10 folds. So right now I
have /boot on its own and / and swam are on LVM on RAID. The system is
fairly slow .. a lot slower than when using the Ubuntu live CD. I think I
will try reinstalling with swap on it's own.

BTW, is there a need to use LVM for /? E.g., can I have /boot and swap on
their own and then / on RAID 1 but without LVM?

Cheers,

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Lecturer, Computer Science Department
Brock University, St. Catharines, ON, Canada, L2S 3A1
Office: MC J215
Tel:    +1(905)688-5550 ext. 5243
Fax:    +1(905)688-3255
Email:  taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org